Design Your Own Shoreline Garden Guidebook
We are pleased to provide the following resources to help you Design Your Own Shoreline Garden with us. We would like to thank TD Friends of the Environment Foundation for supporting the development of the shoreland guidebook. These resources will help you select native plants and choose placements, to suit your pallet, soils, aspect, and situation.
Naturalization doesn't have to be messy or "wild", but can be beautifully manicured or maintained while supporting fisheries, water quality, and overall biodiversity.
Download our comprehensive guide to naturalizing your shoreland while using gardening principles:
Coming soon: Reserve your hardcopy by contacting us
- PLANT LIST: All Plants - Colour Coded
- PLANT LIST : Goal_ Shoreline Stabilization and Erosion Control
- PLANT LIST: Goal_ Deterring Geese
- PLANT LIST: Goal_ Attracting Pollinators
- PLANT LIST: Goal_ Attracting Birds
- PLANTS: What NOT to Sell_Plant Sheet for Nurseries_Landowners Some nursery stock may actually be locally invasive and outcompete our native plants. They can be hard to remove and hard to control, such as periwinkle, zebra grasses, etc. Find out what native plants are good substitutes.
- Also, great resources are our partner, Watersheds Canada’s searchable Native Plant Database to help reach your goals. These have great pictures of the plants to choose from and more information
- Design-your-own Shoreline Garden Worksheet
- Join one of our annual shoreland Garden workshops to create a custom native shoreland garden design to suit your style and your needs. Check out our events calendar for details.
- Contact us to book a site visit to help with a custom design. Fees for site visits apply, but landowners receive a free custom design, and a selection of native plants to begin their journey in shoreland naturalization.
- Order one of The Land Between’s Shoreland Starter Kits. Kits are designed with 12 specialized and attractive plants (flowers and shrubs) covering approx. 3 square metres. Starter Kits come with a mix of plants to add function and biodiversity to your shore, and to attract pollinators, birds, support fish nurseries, and/or take up nutrients. Kits are tailored for:
- Sandy sunny shores
- Mottled shady shores under pines
- Moist organic soil or spongy shorelands
- Rocky shores with hummocks
Our Shoreland supporting partners: