To sustain water quality and lake health by facilitating landowner awareness and stewardship
TLB is the headwaters for all of southern Ontario. TLB has more small lakes and shorelines than anywhere in Ontario; and with the least soils. This makes water very vulnerable to pollution and deterioration affecting us all.
Through this project we are assessing the health of lake trout lakes at a regional scale. This project strives to provide a state of the resource in terms of water quality and fish habitat, and lake-based report cards. To achieve this we collect, relate, and analyze water quality, lake trout habitat, and shoreline development data to understand the state of our headwater and lake trout lakes.
Currently, we we are also able to offer site visits and expertise to help design and naturalize shorelines, remove nuisance pests of geese, limit erosion, and while maintaining a good aesthetic. Contact us to book a site visit
For tips and information to naturalize your shore- visit our water page.
- We have built the database, and collected and combined all the data for all lake trout and headwater lakes in TLB!!
- We have mapped shoreline development current to 2016
- We have run a first test state of the lakes map and report
- We have met with experts in fisheries and water quality across government ministries to provide feedback and direction
- We are now coordinating with partners to create the operational strategy to deliver these tools to the public and reach goals of target behavioural change
- We have created a mobile live-time update App for anglers and lake stewards
Sponsorships, and funding support to launch public campaign and delivery of tools; to include District level fisheries and water data; to host the database; to extend partnerships across the region; to brand and deliver the mobile App and to communicate with lake basin landowners in order for them to knowledgeably steward the resource and achieve conservation measures.