The Land Between charity cares for the region that bears the same name. We develop programs and choose projects that benefit the nature, culture and socio-economy of the region, while understanding that our well being is rooted in the health of the natural systems and land around us.
The Land Between chooses projects within 7 program areas to achieve our 7 core goals. Find out more about each program area here.
Our current portfolio of projects includes:
- My First Shot – an unscripted documentary that uses the cultural practice of hunting in North America to understand the relationships of hunters to conservation and wildlife management
- Ma’aiingun- Rediscovering and Re-working the Algonquin Wolf – In 2020 The Land Between began hosting talking circles to encourage Indigenous Peoples, hunters and trappers to share their knowledge.
- Highland Habitats- Making Space for Declining Species – helping landowners become stewards for wildlife.
- Blue Lakes – A Dynamic Database, Suite of Tools and Ecolabel for Excellence in Lake Stewardship
- The American Eel – contributing to research and knowledge sharing around a symbolic fish species
- Knowledge Circles – Community, Local and Traditional Ecological Knowledge
- Land Stories- Rediscovering Our Roots
- Design Your Own Shoreline Garden and the Natural Edge Program
- Turtle Guardians
- Connecting with and Caring for Nature. Check out all our Citizen Science Programs
We are working on introducing:
- The Youth Arm of TLB
- Municipal Outreach programs
- Developing a Fist Nation Land Trust
- Building Between While we made significant gains to advance appreciation and protections for a local heritage building, and to restore the integrity of the structure towards its repurposing and occupation by a public trust, in 2017-18 the project negotiations with the owner fell apart and heritage features and areas of intrinsic structural integrity were compromised. Regardless, of this loss we will pursue the support for and promotions of green and better building solutions for the communities we serve and will revive these goals reinventing this effort in starting in 2021.
- If you have a project idea or see an area that needs attention or a problem that needs new approaches and solutions in the region, contact us